SCHOLARSHIP, WRITING, SPEAKING & TEACHING
While I specialize in musical performance of the 16th and 17th centuries, my other research and teaching fields include Medieval History (in which I hold a Harvard MA), Gender Studies, Ethnomusicology, Ritual Studies, 20th/ 21st century Music, and Buddhism. Likewise, my teaching and performance interests range from the Medieval to the Baroque era, 21st century new music and folk musics of the world. From time to time I teach university classes, and work as a freelance editor. An experienced writer, I've been published across many formats and media, such as magazine articles, poetry, academic journals, blogs, fashion reviews, academic conferences and panel discussions.
- Post Graduate Studies, University of York, UK: Historical Performance Practice (Voice)
- PhD Candidate, Eastman School of Music; University of Rochester: Musicology (Vocal Performance)
- MTS, Harvard University; The Divinity School: Religion, Medieval Studies
- BA, Oberlin College & Conservatory of Music: dual major Musicology, hons (Vocal Performance), and Religion
- 2010 - present; voice studio and pedagogy focused on female Tenors and Basses
- 2009 - 10; Teaching Assistant, University of York (UK) Music Department, Introduction to the Fundamentals of Music: Writing About Music
- 2009; Mentor/ Coach, Vivaldi's Women Summer School; Bass section leader, rehearsal director, vocal coach
- 2008 - 09; Tutorial Assistant/ Writing Tutor/ Dyslexia Tutor, Univertsity of York Music Department
- 2006 - 07; Adjunct Professor, Canisius College, Buffalo, NY: Fine Arts/ Music Department, Sacred Musics of the World; Religion Department, Zen and the Meditative Tradition
- 2002; Teaching Fellow, Harvard Music Department, Core Course, Music of the Swing Era, under Prof. Robert Levin * Recipient of the Bok Center Teaching Award of Distinction
- 2001; Teaching Assistant, Harvard Music Department, Core Course, Soundscapes, under Prof. Kay Shelemay
- 1994 - 96; Teaching Assistant / Tutor, Oberlin Conservatory of Music; Introduction to Music History 101 and 100, under Prof. Sylvan Suskin; Music of the Baroque Era, under Prof. Steven Plank
- 1993 - 5, 99; Music Instructor and Camp Counselor, Camp Encore/ Coda; Sweden, ME; taught private voice lessons; vocal performance classes; vocal chamber groups and jazz choir; introductory music history; all levels of music theory
- Aug 2013; Co-Presenter/ Performer, Lecture-Recital, Feminist Theory and Music Conference: Suppression and Revival of the Low Female Singing Voice.
- Oct 2010; Co-Presenter/ Performer, Lecture-Performance, RMA Collaborations in Practice Led Research, Leeds: Reflecting on noitcelfeRReflection.
- Jan 2010; Chair Panel, York PostGraduate Student Royal Musical Association Conference: Ownership of the Musical Work?: Whose Music Is It Anyway?
- Jan 2009; Paper, The Annual Gender and Medieval Studies Conference at King’s College London: Subversion, Suffering and Gender Fluidity in the Mystical Writings of Francis of Assisi and Angela of Foligno.
- Dec 2008; Paper at Medieval Religion Research Group, York Centre for Medieval Studies: Subversion, Suffering and Gender Fluidity in the Mystical Writings of Francis of Assisi and Angela of Foligno.
- 2008 - 10; Peer Reviewer for academic interdisciplinary journal e-pisteme, University of Newcastle
OPERA America National Opera Week Lecture-Recitals for OperaBuffs of WNY:
- 2016; Opera Liberata: Uncovering, Rediscovering and Reconstructing Lost Operas.
- 2015; Behind The Last Door: An Inside look at Bartok’s ‘Bluebeard’s Castle.'
- 2014; Wayward Sisters: Witches, Sorceresses and Gypsies in Opera.
- 2013; The Early (Pre)History of Opera.
- 2012; Angels of Loveliness I & II: Low Female Voices in Opera.
- March 2015; Forest Lawn Cemetery Sunday Lecture Series: Paralyzing the Boys: The 7 Singing Sutherland Sisters.
- April 2013; OperaBuffs of WNY, and The Erwin H. Johnson Memorial Fund: A Musical Journey through the Mediterranean: Expressions of Sicilian and Southern Italian Identity in Opera.
magazine & Ezine PUBLICATIONs
- May 2017; Yahoo Canada Open Letter, "Carmina Suzanne: Plus-size supermodel diagnosed with MS talks triumphing her 'body's betrayal'"
- Winter 2017; Alizé La Vie Magazine, “What if There’s No Fat Lady? The Recent Trend of Critical Fat Shaming in Opera.”
- Dec 2016; Mirabella Magazine, "The Industry, The Fight, The Change: The Emerging Plus Fashion Industry."
- Sept 2016; The Plus+ Side Party, "PCOS Got Between Me and My Body Love."
- Summer 2015; Volup2 Magazine (Rebel Issue), “The Girls Behind the Grills: Rebellion and Low-Voiced Females in Vivaldi’s Women.”
- Winter 2015; Volup2 (Black & White Issue), “Glitter and be Gay: Just Don’t Wear Pink.”
- Feb 2014; Volup2 (Supernatural Vol II), “Interview with Fat Girl Food Squad.”
- 2013-15; Fashion Maniac Magazine; “Cropped out for Spring & Summer,” “London Calling: Jack Skellington Chic,” “Florals? For spring? Ground breaking,” and “Moiré Hypnotic Swirls for Herrera."
- Sept 2010; Just as Beautiful Magazine, “Models of Diversity: Who We Are.”
- 2010 - 11; Models of Diversity; multiple interviews with fashion insiders such as Cher Rue, Katie Green, Ngoli Okafor, Jill Alexander and London Fashion Week reviews
- 2002; Website Designer and Research Assistant, Prof. Kay Kaufman Shelemay, Harvard Music Department chair, for the class Soundscapes
- 2000 - 02; Research, Editorial, Copy and Personal Assistant, Prof. Shelemay, for her textbook Soundscapes
- 1998 - 99; Translator and Researcher, independent project, Prof. Shelemay, “Italian Cultural Expression in Colonial Ethiopia”
- 1998; Research Assistant; Oberlin Conservatory Musicology Department, Oberlin History Department
- 1997 - 98; Research Assistant, Prof. L Michael White, Oberlin Religion Department, PBS/ Frontline documentary From Jesus to Christ
- Italian; fluent: Corso Avvanzato, private translation lessons, Scuola Babilonia, Taormina Sicily; Certificato Avvanzato, Centro Studi Italiani, Istituto Dante Alighieri, Urbania Italy
- Spanish; advanced: Harvard Master exams
- French; advanced: ISS, Aix-en-Provence France
- German; intermediate
- Latin; intermediate
FELLOWSHIPS & AWARDS
- 2008 - 10; York University Overseas Student Special Award Scholarship
- 2008, summer; Cambridge Early Music Summer School Scholarship
- 2007 - 09; University of York Music department Roslyn Lyons Masters Scholarship, Overseas Student Minor Scholarship
- 2003, spring; Harvard Bok Center Graduate Writing Fellow, Writing Across the Curriculum
- 2000, summer; Fellow, the Annual Franciscan Studies Conference, Assisi, Italy