SINGING & MUSIC
In addition to the Audio Tracks here, view my Press Page for live performances, films & documentaries, radio interviews, magazine articles, blogs, press releases and other publicity. My Demo CD Brucia La Terra is available for purchase here. Please visit my YouTube and Instagram as well.
I'm a Contralto (Tiefer Alt/ Contralto Profondo/ Oktavista) based in Buffalo, NY, performing in top venues in the US, Canada, England, Scotland, France, Malta, Italy, Germany, and the Czech Republic. For 5 years I lived in York UK, where I studied historical performance practice with Grammy-winning John Potter, Peter Seymour, and world famous soprano Lynne Dawson. I've been praised highly for my very expansive range and dramatic skills, singing from Bass I to Soprano II; I perform professionally as a Bass in the famous 'Vivaldi's Women' choir (Schola Pietatis Antonio Vivaldi, SPAV), as seen on the BBC; Richard Vendome, director. Currently, I sing as a Tenor with the top group in WNY, Vocális Chamber Choir, and as a soloist with the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra, The Buffalo Chamber Players, Camerata di Sant'Antonio, Nickel City Opera, Opera Sacra, and The Opera Foundation of Buffalo. In early 2017 I headlined the Vivaldi WinterFest with Music Niagara; I debuted at REMF (Rochester Early Music Festival) some time earlier. I perform in a cabaret-style show (the longest run in WNY) with the award-winning DIVA by DIVA, and my Demo CD Brucia La Terra came out in late 2016. In fact I was nominated for Female Jazz Vocalist of the Year in the JazzBuffalo Reader's Poll! In high demand as a Paid Soloist and Section Leader, I also enjoy singing in some of Buffalo's most beautiful churches.
Having studied Vocal Performance, Musicology and Historical Performance Practice at the Oberlin Conservatory of Music (Joint BA With Honors), I have doctoral studies at the Eastman School of Music with Paul O'Dette, and the University of York; my focus has been on vocal music of the 16th and 17th centuries. In addition, I have a Masters in Medieval Studies and Religion from Harvard University, where I won a university-wide Teaching Award of Distinction for a course on Jazz and Music of the Swing Era. Learn more about my academic pursuits here. You can also find me presenting lectures through groups like OperaBuffs of WNY and The Forest Lawn Sunday Series. Check out my interview in Buffalo Rising's Sounds of Buffalo feature.
In Buffalo, I have sung professionally with the Buffalo Philharmonic Chorus & Chamber Singers, serving as the Alto & Tenor Section Leaders with the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra under Marvin Hamlisch and Maestra JoAnn Falletta. In addition to Choral Directing the BPO's Copland And the Cold War Celebration in 2015, I appeared as The Wife of Noon in their magnificent production of Bartók's Bluebeard's Castle on the Dale Chihuly set.
Other voice teachers include Tony Arnold, Jacqueline Quirk, Yvonne Seymour, Robert Vehar, Gerald Crawford and La Scala mezzo Genia Las. Other conductors/ directors I’ve performed with include Doreen Rao, Atis Bankas, Grant Cooper, Roland E. Martin, Daniel Bassin, Nadja Zwiener, Will Todd Trio, Robert Shoup, Lorna Cooke de Varon, Lisa Goode Crawford, Steven Plank and Frank Scinta. I've had great coachings with the Grammy-winning Tallis Scholars, Robert Hollingworth, Francis Steele, Philip Thorby, Black Hair Ensemble and more.
Other conducting credits include scenes from Mozart Le Nozze di Figaro for The Operagasmic Project, a sacred harp group in York Minster, co-conducting with Graham Coatman for the North Eastern Early Music Forum's Venetian Christmas Music workshop; I was a mentor, rehearsal director and vocal coach for Vivaldi's Women Summer School. For 4 summers, I was a music instructor, teaching voice lessons, vocal performance class, jazz choir, chamber choir, and music history & theory at Camp Encore/ Coda in Maine.
Collaborating with composer Emily Kalies on a theatrical work, in early 2010 I gave the world-premiere of one-woman piece Reflection noitcelfeR, at Sensorium - York; I have performed it a number of times around the UK since. My female trio consort Juniper, experimenting with repertoire across the Western canon, debuted as Young Artists in Residence at the Harrogate International Festival in 2009. Proficient performance languages include Italian, Sicilian, German, Anglo-Saxon, Middle English, Swedish, Norwegian, Icelandic, French, Provençal, Spanish, Catalan, Latin, Russian, Old Church Slavonic, Friûlan, Finnish, Estonian, Hungarian, Hebrew and Welsh.
Some of my favorite works are Monteverdi Vespers 1610, Brahms Ein Deutsches Requiem, Berg Wozzeck, Victoria Requiem, Messiaen Quatour pour la fin du temps, Tallis Lamentations of Jeremiah, and most of Byrd's Gradualia.
SELECTED CREDITS (*world- or modern-premiere)
- Mother Wine Cask/ The Queen of Lasciviousness; Joan Of Arc At The Stake, Honegger; Opera Sacra final production, Buffalo
- The Huntsman; Venus & Adonis, John Blow; Buffalo Chamber Players
- Prioress Mme De Croissy; Dialogues of the Carmelites, Poulenc; Opera Sacra 40th Anniversary production, Buffalo
- Queen of Noon (Wife 2); Bluebeard's Castle, Bartok; Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra; Dale Chihuly set (dir. JoAnn Falletta)
- Consiglio; Il Rappresentatione di Anima et di Corpo, Cavalieri (dir. Lewis Reynolds); Philip Thorby; Venice Italy
- Sancho Pança; Don Quichotte chez la Duchesse, Boismortier; Viriditas Opera; Paxton Festival Scotland
- Sancho Panza; Don Quichotte auf der Hochzeit des Camacho, Telemann; Viriditas Opera; Paxton
- Singer/ Actress; noitcelfeRReflection, * Emily Kalies; Sensorium Project; York, Dublin Ireland
- Testo; Il combattimento di Tancredi & Clorinda, Monteverdi (dir. G. Romagnoli); Trinacria Productions; York
- The Emperor; The Emperor's New Clothes, * Hilary Nicholls; Viriditas Opera; York
- Maria Magdalena; Quem Queritis; Viriditas Opera
- Amor Celestis; Ordo Virtutum; Viriditas Opera
- Isemene, Euridice; Antigone, * Jon Hughes; Viriditas Opera
- Historicus; Jepthe, Carissimi; Eastman Collegium Musicum
- Prince Hilarion; The 3 Princesses Project, * Gilbert & Sullivan (dir. Gayden Wren); International Gilbert & Sullivan Fest; Philadelphia
- Carmen (scenes); Carmen, Bizet; York Opera Society
- Dido (scenes); Dido & Aeneas, Purcell; York Opera Society
- chorus; Maria Stuarda, Donizetti; Opera Sacra
- chorus; Semele, Handel; (dir. Peter Seymour) York Chamber Choir
- chorus; Olav Tryggvason, Grieg; Harvard Dudley House; Cambridge MA
- chorus; Suor Angelica, Puccini (dir. Carlo Morganti); Oberlin in Italy; Urbania
- Contralto Soloist: Vivaldi WinterFest; Clarae stellae scintillate, Nulla in mundo, Stabat Mater, Gelido in ogni vena and Filiae maestae Jerusalem; Music Niagara Festival, Atis Bankas (dir and violin); Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada
- Alto Soloist; Magnificat, Bach; Bach & Beyond Festival, Fredonia Opera House
- Tenor Soloist; Cantata 106 (Actus tragicus), Bach: Psalm 92, Schubert; UU Church of Buffalo
- Alto Soloist; Christmas Oratorio (II), Bach; UU Church of Buffalo
- Contralto En Travesti Soloist; Gelido in ogni vena, Vivaldi; Camerata di Sant'Antonio, Buffalo
- Singer, Choral Director; Copland And The Cold War; Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra
- Alto Soloist; Stabat Mater, Caldara; Opera Sacra; Buffalo
- Alto Soloist; Verdi & Wagner bicentennial (Verdi 6 Romanze 1838), Opera Sacra (accomp Roland E. Martin); Buffalo
- Contralto Soloist; Un Vespro Venexiano (dir. Philip Thorby); Venice
- Tenor Soloist; Vespers 1610, Monteverdi (dir. Philip Thorby); 400th Anniversary Concert; Venice
- Alto soloist; Stabat Mater, Pergolesi (dir. G. Romagnoli); Trinacria Productions; York, Rome
- Tenor Soloist; Magnificat, * Isabella Leonarda; (dir. Richard Vendome) Vivaldi’s Women; Canterbury
- Alto soloist; Neue Liebeslieder, Brahms; (dir. L. Brett Scott); Buffalo Philharmonic Chorus Chamber Chorus
- Alto soloist; Messiah, Handel; Cheektowaga Community Symphony Orchestra
- Alto soloist; Lamento di David, Mazzocchi; (dir. Paul O'Dette) Eastman Collegium Musicum
- Alto soloist; Usquequo peccatores, Carissimi; Eastman Collegium Musicum
- Soprano soloist; Musicalische Exequien, Schütz; Harvard Dudley House Chamber Choir
- Soprano soloist; Mass in G Minor, Vaughan Williams; Harvard Dudley House Chamber Choir
- Bass; Festival Mediterranea; (dir. Richard Vendome) Vivaldi's Women; Gozo, Malta
- Alto & Tenor Section Leader; (dir. L. Brett Scott, JoAnn Falletta); Buffalo Philharmonic Chorus
- Leader of Song; St. John's Grace Episcopal Church; Buffalo
- Tenor Section Leader; St Paul's Schola Cantorum; Buffalo
- Contralto, Co-Founder; Juniper (female trio), Young Artists in Residence, Harrogate International Festival
- Solo Artist; Brucia La Terra demo CD; Hart2Heart Music - One Page here
- Tenor; Vocalis Chamber Choir: The Music of Ola Gjeilo
- Tenor; A Vocalis Christmas; Vocalis Chamber Choir; 3.5 Stars in The Buffalo News
- Singer; Vivaldi - Gloria; DVD from Schola Pietatis Antonio Vivaldi (Vivaldi's Women); CD from iTunes, Amazon, CD Baby, and distributors across the UK
- Actress/ Singer; Peter Ackroyd: Venice Revealed - Episode III: The City as Music; Sky Arts documentary
- Soloist; Quem Queritis; Viriditas Opera
- Actor; York Mystery Plays 2010 DVD; York Festival Trust
- Interviewee; La Terra Promessa; The Federations of Italian-American Societies of Western New York
- Soloist; Eastman Collegium Musicum's 2003 performance of Carissimi, Rossi and Mazzocchi, directed by Paul O'Dette and Kristian Bezuidenhout